One of the reasons I love meeting up with people is that we often discuss our plans and current activities. Without these face-to-face encounters, I find I’m one step behind, reading about what has been, rather then what will be. I’m conscious that even here, on LinkedIn, I do a fairly poor job of sharing what I’m up to. As the leaves turn from green to orange, here’s an update of the things keeping me out of trouble.
1. Developing a new platform for creators – connecting them with others and bringing together the best of technology, live entertainment and venture support. This will be my next main venture. Connections to investors and advisors appreciated.
2. Beginning the TOTS (Turn on the Subtitles) campaign. Because turning on the subtitles has a significant impact on the literacy of a child, so we’re encouraging broadcasters and tech companies to do this by default. Along the way, we want to share the good news with programme makers, policy makers, journalists and parents. Connections to broadcasters and funders interested in literacy appreciated.
3. Hosting The Lens – a podcast with Business in the Community, powered by Fujitsu and supported by McCann. We’ve released ten episodes and in each one, I interview a CEO (including Barclays, Lloyds of London, McKinsey and Cisco) and a future leader (typically in their 20s), exploring their careers and inviting them to ask each other questions. Feedback, connections to media partners and potential guests appreciated.
4. Chairing a range of events including the recent Times and Sunday Times Tech Summit and Digital Agenda’s Power and Responsibility Summit at the British Library.
5. Supporting business builder Zinc as a Fellow and Advisor for their second Mission. Over the next nine months, 50 entrepreneurial individuals will connect to form impact businesses. My job is to help them to think about who they need to connect with to grow their ideas and companies. Please read about Mission 2 and follow ZincM2 on Twitter.
6. Hosting the Natwest Great British Entrepreneur Awards for the sixth year running, now in London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Birmingham and Manchester.
7. Supporting Troubadour Theatres as an advisory board member and shareholder. We’re creating new live entertainment spaces in London and beyond. Our first announcement was for the old Fountain Studios in Wembley Park and there will be more news soon. This is the team that created the award-winning Kings Cross Theatre (home to The Railway Children and Lazarus). Connections to property developers, brands and producers appreciated.
8. Continuing to make valuable introductions through my growing team at The Connector Unit. We ask our clients what they are trying to achieve and from that decide who they need to meet. Through a series of workshops (the most popular being The Connected Company), retainers and special projects, we’re working with a range of people and organisations. Let me know if there’s anyone you think needs to unlock their network.
9. Continuing my role on the advisory boards of Tech London Advocates, One Million Mentors, The New Entrepreneurs Foundation and The Centre for Entrepreneurs. Also on the Marketing Council of Founders 4 Schools.
Please don’t hesitate to let me know if I can help you with anything you’re doing. And if you see something here which resonates, I’d love to hear from you.